Thursday, March 3, 2011

Mac and Beer Cheese Soup

So, I post a lot of "vegan junk food" recipes on here mostly because I enjoy veganizing the impossible, so to speak. This leads me to believe I am not too self reflective of my personal diet on here! These recipes I post on Vegan Miss are mostly fun weekend projects. Now, because I feel I've done too much junk stuff in the recent past (with the exception of maybe my raw kale salad which I am truly obsessed with), I've committed myself to making a few salad posts coming soon. Be on the look out!


Mac and Beer Cheese Soup
* Prep Time: 10 minutes
* Cook Time: 30 minutes
* Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp soy butter*
  • 1/3 small white onion, chopped
  • 1 large carrot, chopped
  • 1 1/2 large stalk celery, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup broccoli, chopped
  • 1/4 cup vegan bacon, chopped*
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/3-1/2 cup lager*
  • 1 1/3 cup elbow macaroni
  • 1 1/2 cup almond milk (+ 1/3 cup almond milk)*
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, mixed with the 1/3 cup almond milk until lumps gone
  • 1 10 oz. roll of vegan melting cheddar cheese*
  • vegan Parmesan, to top, optional*
* Recipe:
  1. In a large pot on medium heat, let the butter melt. Add the onions and cook until they become translucent.
  2. Next, add the carrots, celery, garlic, broccoli, bacon, salt, and pepper. Cook until the become soft.
  3. Add the vegetable broth, beer, macaroni, milk, and flour mixture; stir. Cook for about 10 minutes.
  4. Lastly, add the cheese and mix well. Simmer on low for five minutes. Top with vegan Parmesan if desired.
* Note: For soy butter, I used Earth Balance with olive oil (my personal favorite kind of their brand). For vegan bacon, I used Upton's Naturals vegan bacon. Alas, one can not buy it in stores. It is for food vendors only, though I get it through the Chicago Vegan Co-Op. One could use Lightlife brand instead. Make sure the lager is vegan on Barnivore. Of course, one could also just take out the beer all together if one wants. Almond milk is just what I happen to prefer. Use any sort of non-dairy milk you like. The melting cheddar cheese I used was Teese brand. I'm sure one could cook down Soy Kaas or even Follow Your Heart. Lastly, the optional Parmesan I would suggest is Galaxy topping.

No comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing